7 February, 2015
How to Cook Carrot Rice Recipe
Almost the whole world loves to eat rice. There are umpteen ways to prepare rice dishes.
I am giving below one such dish which is so easy to prepare and yet nutritious and delicious.
You too can prepare this tasty dish and it will require minimal ingredients. Use it as a main dish with raita and Indian curry or as a takeaway lunch to be eaten with ketchup.
The method of preparing Carrot Rice has 3 in 1 tastes. It is sweet because of carrot, it is salty and spicy due to other ingredients and salt, and it is a bit sharp and a bit tangy because of lemon and the masala used in cooking.
- Rice – 3 cups
- Onions – 4 small or 3 medium sized
- Carrots – 6
- Fried groundnuts seeds– 3 table spoons
- Cooking oil – 4 table spoons
- Broken block gram – 2 table spoons
- Mustard -2 pinches
- Bengal gram – 2 table spoons
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon
- Cloves 3 numbers
- A few sprigs curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 table spoon
- Grated coconut – 2 1/2 table spoons
- Red chillies 4 numbers
Method to cook delicious carrot rice:
1. Soak good quality rice such as basmati for about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Now cook rice with 3 of water in pressure cooker or rice cooker or open pan. Make sure the quantity of water is reduced or increased depending on the method of cooking.
3. Meantime slice onions
4. Peel and grate carrots. Heat the water and put the carrots in warm water.
5. In a separate pan heat oil and add mustard, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves and let them splutter. Add onion and saute until onion becomes soft. Add grated carrots. Fry until the carrots are cooked.
6. Heat the pan with 2 table spoons of oil. Add grated coconut after it turns brown and remove from the heat.
7. Grind it after it cools down. Grind separately, the fried groundnuts coarsely.
8. Finally in one pan heat 1 table spoon of 2 table spoons of oil, add the rice and fry in a low heat. Add salt, red chilli, turmeric and and the ground masala powder. Add groundnut powder, the carrot and onion mixture prepared earlier , mix well and stir gently take care not to break rice till well cooked and remove from the flame.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve
It is now ready to serve.